[R-SIG-Mac]timing R and R and R and R

Martin Maechler Martin Maechler <maechler@stat.math.ethz.ch>
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 08:43:47 +0100

    Jean> None of the people I know at the University of Lyon have switched
    Jean> to OS X, and none of them will switch in the next few months, even
    Jean> those buying new Macs.

    Jean> I think it will take at least one year until a significant part
    Jean> of them do so. OS X is far from being a final version of Mac OS.
    Jean> Even in 10.1, there is still many problems in the GUI, and too many
    Jean> programs are missing an OS X version (other than a beta).

    Jean> OS X has much higher needs in terms of CPU power and memory, so only
    Jean> people buying new Macs will have the opportunity to switch. Looking
    Jean> at the rate of new Macs purchase shows that it will take a long time
    Jean> before OS X really spreads here.

I think this applies to "here" (Zurich, Switzerland) as well.
Many people apply
     ``Never change a winning team''
to their computing environment.  Companies and private persons.

The question is what "long time" means. Certainly a bit longer than 1.4
(i.e. I'm voting partly against Jan DeLeeuw's proposal).
I still agree that most part of Stefano's future work should be directed
towards Quartz and OS X.y support.  But OS [89].y support (i.e. ensure that
new R releases work on these) should not be dropped for the next one or two
years I think.

    Jean> Jean Thioulouse - Equipe "Ecologie  Statistique" - UMR CNRS 5558
    Jean> Universite Lyon 1, Bat. Mendel, 69622 Villeurbanne Cedex, France
    Jean> Fax: (33) 4 78 89 27 19                  Tel: (33) 4 72 43 27 56
    Jean> http://pbil.univ-lyon1.fr/ADE-4/JTHome.html

Martin Maechler <maechler@stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO D10	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><