Dr. Martin Mächler
Seminar für Statistik
HG G 16
||+41 44 632 3408
||+41 44 632 1228
My old static homepage
Secure contact via GPG: My public key has the following
Key fingerprint = 1711 5BE3 74FF 5529 A859 B2A7 52D4 F108 A2B9 6431
- Statistical Computing Environments: Primarily R: I'm member of the R Core Development team and the R Foundation for the R Project.
Further S-plus, and (more in the past) X-Lispstat.
- Emacs Speaks Statistics =: ESS. I've been a Core Developer since about 1997, and am ESS project leader since August 2004.
- Clustering Algorithms (in teaching, also by maintaining the recommended R package cluster.
- Robust Statistical Methods (notably implementation with R: maintaing R package robustbase and the CRAN task view about robust statistical methods, Robust).
- Sparse Matrix algorithms and their implementation in R via S4 classes and methods, notably by co-maintaining the R package Matrix.
- `Wp' Smoothing (see Info); and simplifications of that approach, e.g., in R package cobs that I maintain.
- Variable Length Markov Chains (with R package VLMC and a publication in JCGS)
- Mailing List management, and spam filtering: I'm co-managing two dozen mailing lists, most notably the ones related to R
Slides (and Sweave snippets) of my invited talk "Good Practices for R Programming",
at useR! 2014 at UCLA.
see the Seminar für Statistik's lectures' page, and maybe also my miscellaneous collection of teaching material.
A xkcd comic depicting a (typical ?!) abuse of statistical significance testing.
diverse unpublished manuscripts are available here.
- happily married to Liselotte and father of two grown up sons,
Andreas (pix) and Philipp.
- Christian activities
- I'm serving on the board of
our Church, "Chrischona
Zürich - Kirche die bewegt",
- From Sept.2008 to April 2014, I have been an official member of Zurich's city council (parliament)
as delegate for "Kreis 7 and 8", for the Swiss "evangelical people's
party" EVP / PEV.
- Hobbies (other than the above ... whenever the day has more than 24 hours :-)