[R-SIG-Mac]Which version should I use?

Don MacQueen macq@llnl.gov
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 08:32:36 -0700

I have installed and used both. Jan's summary is pretty good.

I don't remember whether the jpeg graphics driver is available in the
native (Iacus) version (and can't check right now); it definitely is
in the X11 (de Leeuw) version. Both have the postscript() graphics
driver functioning. I have not yet tried dynamic linking to code
written in another language (eg, fortran or C) with either version;
that's a potential major difference.

The native version works "out of the box" so to speak. You definitely
will want to install some version of X-windows to use the X11
version, so there is some extra work there. I don't think it matters
which X11 you use (there are only two to choose from, as far as I
know, and they're fairly comparable, in my opinion, having tried
both).

Actually, both versions of R are pretty easy to install, so you
shouldn't rule out trying them both yourself.

-Don