[R-SIG-Mac]Which version should I use?

Jan de Leeuw deleeuw@stat.ucla.edu
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:02:25 -0700

It's the Darwin/deLeeuw version. There is no Cocoa version
yet, by anybody.

The answer to the question about which version to use is
not straightforward. If you want to run on OS 9 as well as
OS X, you have to use Carbon/Iacus. If you are a Mac
person through and through you will probably use that
one too. If you like the Aqua interface and the menus,
same preference.

If you are used to Unix/X11, then the Darwin/deLeeuw
version may be more appealing. Or if  you like to change
window managers every other day. Or if you like the menus
that come with the gnome interface and run R from the
gnome desktop. Or if you like to use update.packages().
Or if you want to be able to add additional packages a
bit more easily. Or if you want to use tcl/tk. Or Emacs
and ESS.

So far, I have somewhat of a bad conscience to use my
Mac as a Darwin/X11 machine, but I think the Darwin/deLeeuw
version is somewhat more complete and convenient for my
particular tastes. Eventually, I hope to be able to switch back
to a version that does not use X11, maybe to a Cocoa
interface to R running in Darwin (as we already have for
Perl, for Scheme48, for Chaitin's Lisp, for mySQL, for
Apache, and for Squeak)