[R-sig-ins] Estimate Pareto parameter from compound distribution

Ralph Scherer shearer.ra76 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 13:39:26 CEST 2015

Dear Rajesh, dear Christophe,

thank you both for the fast replies.
Quantile matching sounds good for the problem, when there is only one
distribution in the background.
The problem is that the quantile comes from a distribution which has
the additional information about the frequency.
For example the claim from the 0.005 quantile has in addition the
information about the frequency in form of the lambda parameter of the
Poisson distribution.

To my understanding there is then a compound Poisson/Pareto
distribution in the background and I am interested in estimating the
Pareto parameters of this distribution.

The idea of using Bayes statistics sounds interesting for more complex
distributions, but I hoped that for the Pareto/Poisson distribution an
easier analytical solution would be possible.

The idea behind this question is that in some cases we have no
information about the losses and we make assumptions about the
quantile and the frequency. Then we are interested in the parameter of
the underlying distribution.

Best Wishes
Ralph