[R-sig-ins] Estimate Pareto parameter from compound distribution

Sahasrabuddhe, Rajesh Rajesh.Sahasrabuddhe at oliverwyman.com
Thu Aug 13 14:04:36 CEST 2015

Ralph - So I think what you need to fit is a mixture of Pareto distributions (assuming the numbers of components is both finite and relatively small.) The Poisson will be relatively straightforward.
There is an R package to fit mixtures (I think it's mixtools) but I don’t believe that it supports Pareto mixtures.

I have become a big fan of fitting using Bayesian techniques via JAGS - but that is a decision that you will need to make.

Thanks - Raj

Rajesh Sahasrabuddhe
Oliver Wyman
Three Logan Square