[R-sig-ins] Estimate Pareto parameter from compound distribution

Christophe Dutang dutangc at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 08:40:32 CEST 2015

Dear Ralph,

I think you are looking for quantile matching estimation, which is providing in the fitdistrplus package.

Here is an example

library(actuar)
library(fitdistrplus)

data(danishuni)
x <- danishuni$Loss

args(dpareto)
summary(x)

f1 <- fitdist(x, "pareto", method="qme", probs=c(5/1000, 1/10), start = list(shape=10, scale=10))

cdfcomp(f1, do.points=FALSE, xlogscale=TRUE)

On the danish example, one should use a 3-parameter distribution such as Burr.

See also the book of Arthur Charpentier : https://www.crcpress.com/Computational-Actuarial-Science-with-R/Charpentier/9781466592599

Regards, Christophe
Christophe Dutang
LMM, UdM, Le Mans, France