[R-sig-hpc] Distributed computing

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Oct 16 16:48:57 CEST 2011

On 16 October 2011 at 09:19, Sean Davis wrote:
| On Sun, Oct 16, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Zachary Mayer <zach.mayer at gmail.com> wrote:
| > Could you provide a link to some of these AMIs?  The only only one I'm
| > aware of is the bioconductor AMI.
|
| The bioconductor AMI would be a reasonable choice I think.  Here is
| another that bundles R:
|
| http://cloudbiolinux.org/

Whit (who is leading a parallel thread here under the 'deathstar' banner
covering his R-based AMI tools) and I discussed that in email a few weeks
back.  No clear choices dominate but ...

| Dirk may be aware of others.  Dirk (I think) also maintains a ton of
| R-related debs, so you could probably get away with a pretty standard
| debian AMI and simply add R via the normal apt get to get what you
| want.

... Ubuntu has builds at http://cloud.ubuntu.com/ami and via another link on
the EC2 tutorial page at the Ubuntu wiki, and Eric Hammond has a popular set
too with a server configuration at his http://alestic.net site.

I guess curerntly good approaches are to either start from the BioC one and
strip it down (if you're like and don't do Genomics) or start with the basic
Ubuntu ones and add packages as Sean suggests. That is the route that Whit
took.

Dirk

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx