[R-sig-hpc] Distributed computing

Whit Armstrong armstrong.whit at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 21:44:27 CEST 2011

It is incredibly easy to get started w/ ec2.

1) pick a base ubuntu from the link that Dirk sent, or a redhat based
distro if that's your thing
2) boot up a micro instance (2 cents per hour, or free for new accounts).
3) ssh into the box
4) install all the custom R packages you want and any additional
software w/ apt-get or yum.
5) when you're happy with the installed packages and setup, halt the
box (but do not terminate it)
6) in the management console, right click on your instance, and choose
'Create Image (EBS AMI)'
7) once this process is completed you have your own custom spin with
its own ami identifier

For the deathstar image I built on Friday, this took about 20 minutes.
 Far less if you're only installing from apt-get or yum.

Additionally, you can try the AWS.tools package I posted to cran last
week, which allows launching and terminating instances, and s3
commands from R.

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/AWS.tools/index.html
or
https://github.com/armstrtw/AWS.tools

fyi, my public image for deathstar is under this ami: ami-9d5f93f4.

Cheers,
Whit