[R-sig-hpc] Problems Installing Rmpi

R. A. Bilonick rab at consolidated.net
Wed May 13 15:35:09 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 18:45 -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 12 May 2009 at 13:44, Rick B. wrote:
> | Is there some 64-bit Linux that I can install so that Rmpi will install
> | and run out of the box? All I need is the ability to run R and Rmpi.
>
> Debian.  Ubuntu.
>
> Part of the reason I continue to maintain R, Rmpi (r-cran-rmpi in Debian) and
> a few dozen other things in Debian is precisely so that they work out of the
> box for me. I also co-maintained Open MPI in Debian for a while for the same
> reason.
>
> And I use all of these on Ubuntu amd64 machines at work.  There I sometimes
> build local versions of the Open MPI and Rmpi packages just because I want to
> try newer releases.  With that caveat, I think Open MPI should also just work
> on Ubuntu 8.10 and the just released 9.04. (And R I just take from the CRAN
> repos and Vincent and Michael have rebuilds of my packages out within a day
> or two.)
>
> I would stay away from LAM as it is end-of-lived and the LAM team itself
> recommends going to Open MPI.  I have never used MPICH2 -- partly because
> that version is not in Debian.
>
> If you can find a spare machine (or an instance of vmare or virtualbox
> somewhere) I can recommend the server-flavour install of Ubuntu too.  Pretty
> light and a quick install.
>
> Hope this helps,  Dirk

I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 on an HP 2133 mini notebook. So I would consider
using Ubuntu for openmpi, R, and Rmpi - assuming 9.04 will install on a
RAID system.

I did try to compile lam from source but when configuring for shared
libs, I get a warning that the compiler (g++) does not support the bool
data type. So I'm stumped at the moment. So I have more incentive to use
Ubuntu.

Rick B.