[R-sig-hpc] Problems Installing Rmpi

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed May 13 16:42:20 CEST 2009

On 13 May 2009 at 09:35, R. A. Bilonick wrote:
| On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 18:45 -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
| > On 12 May 2009 at 13:44, Rick B. wrote:
| > | Is there some 64-bit Linux that I can install so that Rmpi will install
| > | and run out of the box? All I need is the ability to run R and Rmpi.
| >
| > Debian.  Ubuntu.
[...]
| I'm using Ubuntu 9.04 on an HP 2133 mini notebook. So I would consider
| using Ubuntu for openmpi, R, and Rmpi - assuming 9.04 will install on a
| RAID system.

It should. A linux kernel is a linux kernel is a linux kernel. These systems
are pretty prominent in top500 etc.

We have standard 1u and blades systems from several vendors and I run on
Ubuntu on different combinations. This includes a box with a multiple raid
controllers and several tb of fast drives where I replaced an RHEL system
with Ubuntu 8.10.  My other 1u systems also have raid controllers.

Ubuntu 'server flavour' is great because you end up with a truly mnimal
number of processes, yet can still install apps linked to any of the GUI
frameworks if need be.'

| I did try to compile lam from source but when configuring for shared
| libs, I get a warning that the compiler (g++) does not support the bool
| data type. So I'm stumped at the moment. So I have more incentive to use
| Ubuntu.

FIWI about two years ago I could no longer get LAM to work beyond the 7.1.2
packages when 7.1.4 became current. I have forgotten what the deal was, but I
was forced to 'freeze' the 7.1.2 packages.  That is when I started to help
with the cleanup of Open MPI in Debian (ie the push from basically broken
1.1.* packages to working 1.2.* packages and now the 1.3.* series that Manuel
is looking after).

But as was stated here repeatedly: LAM is no longer being developed, while
Open MPI is very active.  Open MPI has its issues ("100% CPU when polling")
but a number of us have been happy with it.  You also get tools like
slurm-llnl on top of it.

That being said, those like you and Vince who experience issues with Hao's
configure script should ideally try to sit down and adapt it to their system.
I did so to for the Debian layouts, and Hao has always been responsive and
integrated those.  I would help you off-line with the autoconf magic if you
want.

Really, our goal should be to make Rmpi "just work" on most standard Linux
installations, rather than making Rmpi force a particular installation.  That
last step is an alternative (and I'd argue that you end up happier with
Debian/Ubuntu anyway) but there is no reason to force people to use.  Those
happy and familiar with RH. FC, ... may as well continue using these (clearly
inferior :-) system -- with Rmpi.  But Hao or I can't write the autoconf
files for you, let alone when your system becoames non-standard for one
reason or another.

Dirk