[R-sig-hpc] Problems Installing Rmpi

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed May 13 01:45:44 CEST 2009

On 12 May 2009 at 13:44, Rick B. wrote:
| Is there some 64-bit Linux that I can install so that Rmpi will install
| and run out of the box? All I need is the ability to run R and Rmpi.

Debian.  Ubuntu.

Part of the reason I continue to maintain R, Rmpi (r-cran-rmpi in Debian) and
a few dozen other things in Debian is precisely so that they work out of the
box for me. I also co-maintained Open MPI in Debian for a while for the same
reason.

And I use all of these on Ubuntu amd64 machines at work.  There I sometimes
build local versions of the Open MPI and Rmpi packages just because I want to
try newer releases.  With that caveat, I think Open MPI should also just work
on Ubuntu 8.10 and the just released 9.04. (And R I just take from the CRAN
repos and Vincent and Michael have rebuilds of my packages out within a day
or two.)

I would stay away from LAM as it is end-of-lived and the LAM team itself
recommends going to Open MPI.  I have never used MPICH2 -- partly because
that version is not in Debian.

If you can find a spare machine (or an instance of vmare or virtualbox
somewhere) I can recommend the server-flavour install of Ubuntu too.  Pretty
light and a quick install.

Hope this helps,  Dirk