[R-sig-hpc] Easiest Road to Parallel R?

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Tue Jul 21 14:39:52 CEST 2009

Thomas Hampton wrote:
> We have a substantial beowulf cluster and would like to
> get parallel R going. Our systems administrators attempted
> without success to get the R function papply to run
> properly without success. I passed their comments/questions on to this
> list in a previous message. The way I understand it, the various
> pieces are
> there and report no errors, but the final result is that no
> parallelism is achieved.
>
> Is there some more bullet-proof route to parallel R than mpich2, Rmpi
> and papply?
>
> We are on a beowulf cluster, red hat linux.
In the future, it would be best if you simply "Reply All" to your
the thread.

Have you verified that MPI is running correctly and can pass messages
between machines?  In any parallel system made up of many parts, you
need to verify each component independently.  Your prior message was
extremely short on details of what had been tried to establish
communications.

Regards,

  - Brian

--