[R-sig-hpc] Rmpi in "Depends"

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Thu Jul 16 15:29:16 CEST 2009

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have one package where I listed Rmpi in the "Depends" line in the
> DESCRIPTION file. But this leads to unwanted behavior: installing the
> package will try to start the lam universe (I am using LAM/MPI here).
> This will not work if done as root, and is annoying when done as a
> regular user.
>
> I just checked, and no package in CRAN is listed that has a reverse
> Depends on Rmpi. I've googled around, but haven't been able to locate
> anything, though I think I remember this issue has appeared in the
> past in some list.
>
> Any ideas of the best way to proceed?
>
> Thanks,
>
> R.

Sure, list it as "Suggests" in the package DESCRIPTION.

Inside your code, check to see if it is installed, and throw a warning
or stop() error if the package is not available without starting up the
lam universe.  Make clear in your documentation why you've done this.

Regards,

  - Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson