[R-gui] Directing R output to a text window

James Wettenhall wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
Fri Jun 4 16:51:08 CEST 2004

Edo,

> about what the program is doing. To resolve this, I would like to direct the
> R output the scripts generate to a text window. Does anyone know how to do

You may run into some of the problems described by Luke
Tierney's "Threading and GUI Issues for R" :
http://www.stat.uiowa.edu/~luke/R/thrgui/thrgui.pdf

But you can do something like this:

data(airquality)
txt <- capture.output(print.data.frame(airquality))

# See ?capture.output for more details.

library(tcltk)
tt <- tktoplevel()
txtWidget <- tktext(tt)
tkpack(txtWidget)
tkinsert(txtWidget,"end",paste(txt,collapse="\n"))

i.e. the output of print.data.frame(airquality) which would
normally be directed to the R console is now directed into the
text widget.

If the reason you don't want to use the R Console for output is
that you are using Windows and you find that RGui "steals the
focus" from Tcl/Tk, then you can solve this by selecting :
Edit, GUI Preferences, SDI (Single Document Interface mode),
then click Save to save your RGui configuration preferences
and then restart R.

Regards,
James

James Wettenhall                                  Tel: (+61 3) 9345 2629
Division of Genetics and Bioinformatics           Fax: (+61 3) 9347 0852
The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute         E-mail: wettenhall at wehi.edu.au
 of Medical Research,                     Mobile: (+61 / 0 ) 438 527 921
1G Royal Parade,
Parkville, Vic 3050, Australia
http://www.wehi.edu.au