[R-gui] Interface for Edit-Plus Editor

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Oct 4 12:48:27 MEST 2003

    Ernesto> On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 15:12, Greg Riddick wrote:
    >> I'm trying to develop an interface between R and the
    >> Editplus editor (for Windows). http://www.editplus.com/
    >> Editplus can be customized to send files and selected
    >> text to an external program and capture the output.  I've
    >> tried using batch commands to R etc. without much
    >> success. Does anyone have experience they could share
    >> with me about interfacing editors to R in windows?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Greg Riddick

    Ernesto> Have you tried the "usual" procedure ?

"Usual" only for those who don't know better (please excuse..).

(X)Emacs/ESS or (R)WinEDT e.g.  do know better and Greg wants to
do better too, from what he's said above.

- editor stays open "all the time"
- you work with source (*.R) files and send commands / function
  definitions / whole files to the R process.

    Ernesto> Do

    Ernesto> options(editor="editplus")

    Ernesto> And then try

    Ernesto> edit(fun)

    Ernesto> and see what happens.

    Ernesto> Maybe you don't need to do anything :)

yes, he wants (and should try) to do much better.

AFAIK, people working with ESS or RWinEDT  never use  edit() and
the like ...

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><