[R-gui] further on the Rcmdr package

Philippe Grosjean phgrosjean at sciviews.org
Tue May 20 03:50:55 MEST 2003

I am away in a symposium, so, I could not check your issues myself. However, I also experience the problem of Tcl/Tk dialog boxes appearing behind RGui. Apparently, RGui and Tcl run in separate processes and Windows consider they are two unrelated applications.

I would like to support your various dialog boxes in SciViews. It will require very minor adjustments, and you will got a MDI with better behaviour of TclTk dialog boxes under Windows.

Best,

Philippe Grosjean

From: John Fox <jfox at mcmaster.ca>
Date:  Mon, 19 May 2003 21:05:47 -0400

>Dear R-Gui list members,
>
>I've posted another version of the Rcmdr package to my web site, at
><http://www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/>.
>
>Changes include many more input-error checks and improvements to a number
>of dialogs, including e.g. the ability to specify a subsetting expression
>for models.
>
>A partly unresolved issue is the problem raised by Dirk Eddelbuettel on
>Sunday: Dirk found that both the R session and the Commander windows locked
>up after the Rcmdr package was loaded on his Debian Linux system. Following
>Dirk's suggestion, I've added an option to Rcmdr to call tkwait until the
>Commander window is closed. Apparently this solves the problem that Dirk
>experienced, but an unfortunate consequence is that the command prompt in
>the R session is disabled until the Commander window is closed. Although
>this isn't a fatal problem -- commands can still be entered through the
>GUI, including via the log/script window -- it would be nice to be able to
>enter commands directly at the command prompt as well. I can do this when
>the call to tkwait is bypassed on Windows systems and on my Red Hat Linux
>system. Since no one else reported the problem, I assume that the package
>also works without the call to tkwait on a number of other systems.
>
>I'd appreciate some information and advice from those more experienced with
>Tcl/Tk than I. In particular, why does the call to tkwait appear necessary
>on at least one system but not on others? Is there a better way to resolve
>the issue than to provide an option?
>
>Another, though smaller, unresolved issue has to do with my inability to
>use the Rcmdr package (or any tcltk-based code) with R under the MDI in
>Windows. Can anyone tell me what the source of the problem is (that is, why
>dialog boxes won't stay in front of the R-GUI window)? Is it likely that
>the problem will be fixed? I actually prefer the SDI, but notice that most
>of my students like the MDI, which is the default when the Windows
>distribution of R is installed.
>
>As usual, comments and suggestions are appreciated. I expect that I'll
>submit a version of the Rcmdr package to CRAN soon.
>
>Thanks for your help,
>  John
>John Fox
>Department of Sociology
>McMaster University
>Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4M4
>email: jfox at mcmaster.ca
>phone: 905-525-9140x23604
>web: www.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox

 ) ) ) ) )
( ( ( ( (       Philippe Grosjean
( ( ( ( ( 	Marine Biol. Lab., ULB, Belgium
 ) ) ) ) )	Mariculture & Biostatistic
( ( ( ( (
 ) ) ) ) )	SciViews project coordinator
( ( ( ( ( 	(http://www.sciviews.org)