[R-gui] basic-statistics GUI for R [2]

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue May 13 15:30:01 MEST 2003

Dear Martin,

At 10:02 AM 5/13/2003 +0200, Martin Maechler wrote:
. . .

>- I'm running with R-patched and seem unable to get a dataset
>   from an attached package via the 1st entry of  [File].
>
>   The error message is a bit embarassing (I don't know for whom):
>
>   >> Warning: The use of _ is soon to be removed: you will be warned
> repeatedly
>   >> Warning: The use of _ is soon to be removed: you will be warned
> repeatedly
>   >> Error in parse(file, n, text, prompt) : parse error

. . .

I revived my Linux machine (running Red Hat 7.0), did some necessary
updating, installed R. 1.7.0 (from the rpm on CRAN), and installed the car
and Rcmdr packages. Everything works fine for me, though I noticed that
some of my font choices weren't ideal under X11  -- I'll probably deal with
these via options(). I'm not sure why you experienced problems, though it
might have something to do with running under ESS.

(By the way, I'm grateful to Jan Leeuw for checking Rcmdr under Mac OS X.)

Regards,
  John
John Fox
Department of Sociology