[R-gui] basic-statistics GUI for R [2]

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed May 14 10:14:23 MEST 2003

    JohnF> Dear Martin, At 10:02 AM 5/13/2003 +0200, Martin
    JohnF> Maechler wrote: . . .

    >> - I'm running with R-patched and seem unable to get a
    >> dataset from an attached package via the 1st entry of
    >> [File].
    >>
    >> The error message is a bit embarassing (I don't know for
    >> whom):

    >> be warned repeatedly >> Warning: The use of _ is soon to
    >> be removed: you will be warned repeatedly >> Error in
    >> parse(file, n, text, prompt) : parse error

    JohnF> . . .

    JohnF> I revived my Linux machine (running Red Hat 7.0), did
    JohnF> some necessary updating, installed R. 1.7.0 (from the
    JohnF> rpm on CRAN), and installed the car and Rcmdr
    JohnF> packages. Everything works fine for me, though I
    JohnF> noticed that some of my font choices weren't ideal
    JohnF> under X11 -- I'll probably deal with these via
    JohnF> options(). I'm not sure why you experienced problems,
    JohnF> though it might have something to do with running
    JohnF> under ESS.

Yes, indeed!
Running R from a simple "terminal" instead of ESS
doesn't show the problem.

Martin