[R-sig-Geo] rgdal, regeos, maptools retirement: a world vanishing

Patrick Giraudoux p@tr|ck@g|r@udoux @end|ng |rom un|v-|comte@|r
Sun Sep 19 13:09:31 CEST 2021

Dear Roger,

I had missed your message about rgdal, rgeos, maptools and your
retirement...  As being retired since 2 years, and emeritus as yourself,
I can tell you how free an "emeritus" can be when rid of all forms of
bureaucracies, competition for grants and institutional top-down
injunctions. To tell you the truth I never had before a so deep feeling
of being free to do the job for which I was paid for than since I am
retired/emeritus.

I want to warmly thank you for all the work done since decades (speaking
in the name of many in our lab). I remember our correspondence when I
was back from field work in China, in the early 2000, when I was asking
you how graphics could help and handle shapes and mapping... and I still
have the first edition of Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R with your
signing mentioning those early times. Of course thenafter, rgal, rgeos
and maptools have been instrumental for most of my papers in ecology and
epidemiology.

For sure, we will be a bit lost (and a bit scared not to find equivalent
facilities) in rewriting a large number of scripts with other
libraries... 😭

Anyway, I wish you all the best for your new life, and hope our paths
will anyway cross from time to time...

Cheers,

Patrick

*Patrick GIRAUDOUX*
Professor emeritus of ecology
Honorary member of the /Institut universitaire de France/
Distinguished professor of the Yunnan University
of Finance and Economics, China
*Chrono-environnement*
UMR UFC/CNRS 6249 usc INRA
Université de Franche-Comté