[R-sig-Geo] rgdal, regeos, maptools retirement: a world vanishing

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Tue Sep 21 12:38:15 CEST 2021

Dear Patrick,

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021, Patrick Giraudoux wrote:

> Dear Roger,
>
> I had missed your message about rgdal, rgeos, maptools and your
> retirement...  As being retired since 2 years, and emeritus as yourself,
> I can tell you how free an "emeritus" can be when rid of all forms of
> bureaucracies, competition for grants and institutional top-down
> injunctions. To tell you the truth I never had before a so deep feeling
> of being free to do the job for which I was paid for than since I am
> retired/emeritus.

Indeed, this is unexpected freedom ...

> I want to warmly thank you for all the work done since decades (speaking
> in the name of many in our lab). I remember our correspondence when I
> was back from field work in China, in the early 2000, when I was asking
> you how graphics could help and handle shapes and mapping... and I still
> have the first edition of Applied Spatial Data Analysis with R with your
> signing mentioning those early times. Of course thenafter, rgal, rgeos
> and maptools have been instrumental for most of my papers in ecology and
> epidemiology.

As you know, your postcard from China was a great encouragement!

> For sure, we will be a bit lost (and a bit scared not to find equivalent
> facilities) in rewriting a large number of scripts with other
> libraries... 😭

Hopefully, sp will continue, and some functionality for vector data may be
placed in sp. We can also extend or edit

https://github.com/r-spatial/sf/wiki/Migrating

when more becomes clearer for raster data.

> Anyway, I wish you all the best for your new life, and hope our paths
> will anyway cross from time to time...

That would be excellent!

Best wishes,

Roger

> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

> *Patrick GIRAUDOUX*
> Professor emeritus of ecology
> Honorary member of the /Institut universitaire de France/
> Distinguished professor of the Yunnan University
> of Finance and Economics, China
> *Chrono-environnement*
> UMR UFC/CNRS 6249 usc INRA
> Université de Franche-Comté
> La Bouloie
> 25030 Besançon Cedex, France
> Web sites:
>
> Perso
> <https://chrono-environnement.univ-fcomte.fr/personnes/annuaire/article/giraudoux-patrick?lang=en>
> Lab <http://chrono-environnement.univ-fcomte.fr/>
> IRN EHEDE <http://gdri-ehede.univ-fcomte.fr/>
> Zone atelier (LTSER site) Arc jurassien
> <https://zaaj.univ-fcomte.fr/spip.php?article29>
> Metadata portal
> dat using osu<http://dataosu.obs-besancon.fr/search.php?s=giraudoux>

Emeritus Professor
Postboks 3490 Ytre Sandviken, 5045 Bergen, Norway.
e-mail: Roger.Bivand using nhh.no
https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2392-6140