[R-sig-Geo] spacetime and sf

Edzer Pebesma edzer@pebe@m@ @end|ng |rom un|-muen@ter@de
Tue Jun 4 18:02:38 CEST 2019

Dear ƒacu,

spacetime will remain the way it is, just like sp, too much stuff
depends on how it is now.

For STFDF objects in spacetime, a follow-up package is stars: it
supports raster and vector data cubes, and can deal with more cube
dimensions than STFDF ever could; it also gets better dealing with e.g.
large satellite images.

For the STIDF (irregular: s/t point patterns) there is currently no
follow-up package that builds on top of sf. As you note, its
functionality would be pretty much limited to registering which column
denotes time in an attribute, and add a class label. So far, I haven't
considered that worth the effort: you may have to add lots of method
instances to have that information survive all the current methods
available for sf objects.

Have you thought about giving the time variable a fixed name? Or is
there a need for maintaining multiple time variables in sf objects?

Best,

--
Edzer Pebesma
Institute for Geoinformatics