[R-sig-Geo] Creating Spatial Weight Matrices with Large Data

Roger Bivand Roger@B|v@nd @end|ng |rom nhh@no
Mon Dec 2 13:00:45 CET 2019

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019, Chanda Chiseni wrote:

> I am currently working with a census data that has about 758 000
> individuals. I am trying to create a spatial weight matrix using the X-Y
> coordinates for their place of birth . However, i am running into problems
> when I try to create the nb type weights matrix using the poly2nb, R is
> taking super long and after running for a long time it crushes. I have
> increased R's memory size to about 80000 but this is still not working.

Please provide the (shortened) code used. poly2nb() is used for polygons,
not points. If you were using distances between points, you may have used
a distance threshold such that many observations have many neighbours.
Also ask yourself whether this is not a multi-level problem, in that
spatial interactions perhaps occur between aggregates of observations, not
the observations themselves.

> Is there a way i can get around this problem? If anyone has any ideas on
> how i can create a spatial weight matrix for such a large data set please
> help.

An nb object (and listw) are just lists of length n, so a neighbour object
with 800K observations and 4 neighbours each only takes about 13MB, the
listw takes 38MB. What you can use them for may be another problem, and
much of the data may actually simply be noise not signal.

Roger