[R-sig-Geo] Creating Spatial Weight Matrices with Large Data

Chanda Chiseni cch|@en| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Dec 2 12:00:33 CET 2019

I am currently working with a census data that has about 758 000
individuals. I am trying to create a spatial weight matrix using the X-Y
coordinates for their place of birth . However, i am running into problems
when I try to create the nb type weights matrix using the poly2nb, R is
taking super long and after running for a long time it crushes. I have
increased R's memory size to about 80000 but this is still not working.

Is there a way i can get around this problem? If anyone has any ideas on
how i can create a spatial weight matrix for such a large data set please
help.

Kind Regards,

Michael Chanda Chiseni

Phd Candidate

Department of Economic History

Lund University

Visiting address: Alfa 1, Scheelevägen 15 B, 22363 Lund

*Africa is not poor, it is poorly managed (Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf ). *