[R-sig-Geo] Creating Spatial Weight Matrices with Large Data

Chanda Chiseni cch|@en| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Dec 3 11:40:55 CET 2019

 Hi Roger

Thank you for your very helpful feedback. I was indeed treating my point
data as polygons and did not impose a distance thresh hold.Essentially, as
you stated, many observations had many neighbors. I have since tried to you
K-neighbors and imposed a restriction of k=4. However, this is still taking
a bit long.

 #Increasing the memory capacity
 memory.limit(size = 80000)
 ## defining data
 censusdata= CensusFinal_Analysis_R1

#Creating Matrix of Coordinates
 sp_point <- cbind(censusdata$X, censusdata$Y)

colnames(sp_point)= c("Long","Lat")
head(sp_point)

## Create the K nearest neighbour
censusdata.4nn = knearneigh(sp_point,k=4,longlat = TRUE)

I get stuck at the stage where i try to create the K nearest neighbor, the
operation is quite slow. Am i still doing something wrong?

Kind Regards,

Michael Chanda Chiseni

Phd Candidate

Department of Economic History

Lund University

Visiting address: Alfa 1, Scheelevägen 15 B, 22363 Lund

*Africa is not poor, it is poorly managed (Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf ). *