[R-sig-Geo] Library version mis-match

Rich Shepard r@hep@rd @ending from @ppl-eco@y@@com
Thu Sep 20 19:38:05 CEST 2018

   If the r-help list is better suited for this question let me know and I'll
move the thread there.

   Installed here are gdal-2.2.4 and geos-3.7.0

   When I check installed libraries with library() both rgdal and rgeos are
shown as being available:

rgdal                   Bindings for the 'Geospatial' Data Abstraction
                         Library
rgeos                   Interface to Geometry Engine - Open Source
                         ('GEOS')

   However, when I try to use them in an operation with the sp() package the
attempts fail. So I tried re-installing them. rgeos had no problem
re-installing, but rgdal is not happy:

** testing if installed package can be loaded
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘rgdal’ in dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...):
  unable to load shared object '/usr/lib/R/library/rgdal/libs/rgdal.so':
   libgeos-3.6.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error: loading failed
Execution halted
ERROR: loading failed
* removing ‘/usr/lib/R/library/rgdal’
* restoring previous ‘/usr/lib/R/library/rgdal’

The downloaded source packages are in
 	‘/tmp/Rtmp22EDOj/downloaded_packages’
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Making 'packages.html' ... done
Warning message:
In install.packages("rgdal") :
   installation of package ‘rgdal’ had non-zero exit status

   How can I resolve this by having R recognize, and use, geos-3.7.0? Or, do
I need to downgrade geos to the earlier 3.6.3?

Rich