[R-sig-Geo] Elevation data

Loïc Dutrieux loic.dutrieux at conabio.gob.mx
Fri Jan 13 15:35:16 CET 2017

On 13/01/2017 10:59, Miluji Sb wrote:
> Thank you for your reply. This is what I did:
>
> ###
> library(data.table)
> library(raster)
> library(rgdal)
> library(foreign)
>
> elevation_world <- getData('worldclim', var='alt', res=2.5)
>
> # Aggregate Elevation to 1 degree
> elevation_world_1deg <- aggregate(elevation_world, fact = 24, fun = sum)

Aggregating with fun=sum is a bit strange for elevation. mean or median
would certainly be a better choice.

> # Extract by lon lat (1° x 1° - gcp_grid)
> elevation <- cbind(gcp_grid, alt = extract(elevation_world_1deg, gcp_grid))

gcp_grid are points or polygons? If they are polygons, there's no need
for the aggregation step above. Also have a look at df = TRUE, which
returns a dataframe, and sp=TRUE, which returns a Spatial*DataFrame with
extracted values cbinded to the attributes of the original
Spatial*DataFrame. (both are arguments of raster::extract)

Cheers,
Loïc