[R-sig-Geo] How to create an ellipse buffer using SpatialPointsDataFrame?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 15:34:28 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 2:26 AM, Isaque Daniel
<isaquedanielre at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>

> I have been working in a model for spatial analysis and my problem now is generate some ellipses around of SpatialPointsDataFrame.
>

> I looking for some similar gBuffer of rgeos, but until now I can't find a solution.

 Do you want an ellipse centred on each point of your
SpatialPointsDataFrame? You can compute ellipse coordinates with a bit
of trigonometry given the major/minor axis lengths or eccentricity and
centre. Make these into SpatialPolygons and if they overlap then you
can use rgeos' routines to merge them all.

 No need for buffer routines! An elliptical buffer of a point is just
an ellipse.

Barry