[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing rgeos

Waichler, Scott R Scott.Waichler at pnnl.gov
Tue Jul 28 22:55:01 CEST 2015

Hi,

I'm trying to install rgeos and I don't know how to respond to the error message:  "configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs"

> install.packages("rgeos", dependencies = "Depends", repos = "http://cran.fhcrc.org/")
trying URL 'http://cran.fhcrc.org/src/contrib/rgeos_0.3-11.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 247152 bytes (241 KB)
downloaded 241 KB

* installing *source* package ÆrgeosÇ ...
** package ÆrgeosÇ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
configure: CC: gcc -std=gnu99
configure: CXX: g++
configure: rgeos: 0.3-8
checking for /usr/bin/svnversion... yes
configure: svn revision: 479
checking for geos-config... /usr/local/bin/geos-config
checking geos-config usability... yes
configure: GEOS version: 3.4.2
checking geos version at least 3.2.0... yes
checking geos-config clibs... yes
checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in `/tmp/RtmpFSN1i4/R.INSTALL25f63e6c5cb4/rgeos':
configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs.
If you meant to cross compile, use `--host'.
See `config.log' for more details
ERROR: configuration failed for package ÆrgeosÇ
* removing Æ/files3/R/R-3.2.1_install/lib64/R/library/rgeosÇ

The downloaded source packages are in
        Æ/tmp/RtmpceXyoL/downloaded_packagesÇ
Updating HTML index of packages in '.Library'
Making 'packages.html' ... done
Warning message:
In install.packages("rgeos", dependencies = "Depends", repos = "http://cran.fhcrc.org/") :
  installation of package ÆrgeosÇ had non-zero exit status

Thanks,
Scott Waichler
Hydrology Group
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory