[R-sig-Geo] Problem installing rgeos

chris english englishchristophera at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 10:03:19 CEST 2015

Scott,

You're build is failing pretty early in the configuration process which
suggests you are missing some tools in your development environment.  The
latest geos was found. Was that a binary or built from source?  If from
source you have the necessary tools in your dev environment and it may
merely be a function of dropping the depends in you install.packages
call....

This just now on my box:

sessionInfo()
R version 3.2.1 (2015-06-18)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] cluster_2.0.3   TraMineR_1.8-10

[1] tools_3.2.1        RColorBrewer_1.1-2 boot_1.3-17
> install.packages("rgeos")
Installing package into ‘/usr/local/lib/R/site-library’
(as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL 'http://cran.cnr.Berkeley.edu/src/contrib/rgeos_0.3-11.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 247152 bytes (241 KB)
downloaded 241 KB

* installing *source* package ‘rgeos’ ...
** package ‘rgeos’ successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
configure: CC: gcc -std=gnu99
configure: CXX: g++
configure: rgeos: 0.3-8
checking for /usr/bin/svnversion... yes
configure: svn revision: 479
checking for geos-config... /usr/local/bin/geos-config
checking geos-config usability... yes
configure: GEOS version: 3.4.2
checking geos version at least 3.2.0... yes
checking geos-config clibs... yes
checking for gcc... gcc -std=gnu99
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc -std=gnu99 accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc -std=gnu99 option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -std=gnu99 -E
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking geos_c.h usability... yes
checking geos_c.h presence... yes
checking for geos_c.h... yes
checking geos: linking with libgeos_c... yes
configure: PKG_CPPFLAGS:  -I/usr/local/include
configure: PKG_LIBS:  -L/usr/local/lib -lgeos -L/usr/local/lib -lgeos_c
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating src/Makevars
** libs

This configuraton built and installed correctly. When my configurations
choke, I try to track down a working configuration like that above, check
my environment to see if I have everything that is going to be asked for.
If I don't have it I find out which package provides it and install the
developer version of the package so I have the headers and eventually I
have a successful build.

HTH,
Chris