[R-sig-Geo] stack many files without loading into memory

dschneiderch Dominik.Schneider at colorado.edu
Fri Feb 6 21:30:16 CET 2015

Ok -  Looks like it worked this time for 112 files from 2012. The netcdf is
2.25 GB while the compressed multiband geotiff is 510MB. Does the netcdf
have so much overhead- the 112 file at 10MB each are only 1.12 GB
individually?
I like the tidiness of 1 file per year so I'll have to play with how easily
these can be accessed and the best way of annotating the layers. I was just
reading that netcdf4 is based on hdf5 with a subset of features so I might
look to see if hdf5 can do what I want.
Thanks
ds