[R-sig-Geo] stack many files without loading into memory

dschneiderch Dominik.Schneider at colorado.edu
Fri Feb 6 18:42:28 CET 2015

Hi Michael -
Yes saving as GTiff with the compression options reduced the file size from
~10MB to ~2.5M for a single file but I am having a lot of trouble getting it
to save the whole stack. I'm definitely running out of memory on my computer
so maybe R is being slow and timing out? I've left it overnight with no
success (for a single year). That said, is there some overhead involved in
this? 112files * 10MB is only 1.12 GB
I might try this on the command line with gdal tools.

Another issue that I'm encountering is that I don't seem to be able to save
layer names either in GTiff or CDF. Since these are ~100 remote sensing
images from the year, I need to be able to annotate the layer name so I know
the date (I actually posted onto an older thread about this specific to CDF
format because it came up in something else I was doing.)
Thanks for your help.