[R-sig-Geo] densify geometries

Michael Sumner mdsumner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 05:10:08 CEST 2015

Hello, is there any existing function in the Spatial family in R to
"densify geometries"?

I'd like to be able specify the insertion of redundant vertices for all
individual segments within a Line* or Polygon*. I've done a bit myself but
wondering if this already exists somewhere.  This is a pretty standard task
for reprojection in traditional GIS. Ultimately I would implement a
"minimum distance" option as well, just wondering if this is already out
there somewhere.

I know there are partial pieces of this, for instance in
raster::rasterToPolygons and rgeos::gDistance - are there others? - but I
want more control.

Cheers, Mike.