[R-sig-Geo] [DKIM] Re: FW: Spatial sampling design using information more than spatial coordinates [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Fri Apr 10 12:09:12 CEST 2015

Jin,

When it comes to stratification prior to any model building (hence no
prior predictions) I think that a robust way to stratify an area would
be to use a combination of PCA and unsupervised fuzzy k-means. Here is
an example:

R> library(GSIF)
R> library(plotKML)
R> library(sp)
R> data(eberg_grid)
R> gridded(eberg_grid) <- ~x+y
R> proj4string(eberg_grid) <- CRS("+init=epsg:31467")
R> formulaString <- ~ PRMGEO6+DEMSRT6+TWISRT6+TIRAST6
R> eberg_spc <- spc(eberg_grid, formulaString)
Converting PRMGEO6 to indicators...
Converting covariates to principal components...
R> kmeans.eberg <- kmeans(eberg_spc at predicted@data, 4)
R> eberg_grid$cluster.4 <- as.factor(kmeans.eberg$cluster)
R> spplot(eberg_grid["cluster.4"], col.regions=rainbow(4))

I had problems following the procedure you described (a combination of
geographical clustering first, then sampling in feature space). Maybe
you do only need to use the clhs
(http://www.inside-r.org/packages/cran/clhs/docs) or lhs package because
this is a standard statistical method when it comes to sampling in
feature space? It all depends on what is the purpose of sampling -
validation, model building (maximum representation)...

HTH

Tom #1