[R-sig-Geo] [DKIM] Re: FW: Spatial sampling design using information more than spatial coordinates [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Jin.Li at ga.gov.au Jin.Li at ga.gov.au
Thu Apr 9 03:49:39 CEST 2015

Hi Tom 2  :-),

To be specific,  we need to do the spatial stratification first and need to stratify the survey area into n equal-area strata. The function stratify with equalArea in spcosa meets this need well.

And then within each stratum, we need to do further stratification based on a raster layer of 'elevation' that is a continuous layer and needs to be converted into 3 zones. We need to sample m samples within each stratum and these samples need to be evenly distributed within each zone. That is we need to use the area of each zone as a weight to decide how many samples should be allocated to each zone. And then do randomly sampling within each zone.

A further challenge is that they plan to sample 1 to 4 samples a day during 25 days, so we need to provide four designs with 25, 50, 75 and 100 samples respectively. The samples of the design with smaller sample size need to be nested in the samples of the design with larger sample size for operational reasons as the survey needs to meet other tasks and also to accommodate weather conditions at sea. Now you know the 'elevation' is bathymetry that is the depth of water. We plan to let n = 25, and m = 1 to 4. But it is hard to stratify if a stratum contains 3 zones and m <3.

Hope this clarify things a bit. Any further suggestions are appreciated!

Jin