[R-sig-Geo] Question about derivative work - what is the license for map derived using e.g. spatial "predict" function?

Forrest Stevens forrest at ufl.edu
Thu Nov 27 15:21:00 CET 2014

This is indeed a sticky question, and probably hard to generalize across
specific legal situations, but I'm sure the original data holder's view
would be that without access to the original points layer there's no way
you could produce your interpolation. Therefore, your output constitutes a
derivative work.

I think of it like classifying data that you extract in some way from
Google Earth, which is against their Terms of Service. Even if you produced
a binary, classified land cover dataset from a screen capture, yielding a
situation like you describe, impossible to recreate the original
aerial/satellite imagery from, you'd still legally be violating the TOS and
couldn't distribute your classified data.

Interested to hear other's thoughts on it though,
Forrest