[R-sig-Geo] Question about derivative work - what is the license for map derived using e.g. spatial "predict" function?

Tomislav Hengl hengl at spatial-analyst.net
Thu Nov 27 14:35:41 CET 2014

Dear list,

I have a question about licensing the data that is produced by spatial
prediction from point data. My ideas is that a map produced by using
e.g. geostatistics from point data is a new data product and as such
does not falls under the regulations of the original license used for
the point data (so if the license for the point data is restrictive, the
license for the output maps does not have to respect this). Consider for
example:

R> library(gstat)
R> library(sp)
R> demo(meuse, echo=FALSE)
R> m <- vgm(.59, "Sph", 874, .04)
R> x <- krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse, meuse.grid, model = m)

The produced map "x" can be considered a new data product. There is
absolutely no way that one could reproduce the original input points
from this map, hence it should be considered "a non-derivative work".
Only if we would derive a map using interpolation technique that allows
re-constructions of points (e.g. Thiessen polygons) the license would
need to be respected.

Or am I mistaken? (I know this is a type of a question for lawyers in
fact, but any experience / opinion you have is welcome)

http://www.publicdomainsherpa.com/derivative-work.html

"To qualify as a derivative work, the derivative must use a substantial
amount of the prior work’s expression. How much? Enough so that the
average person would conclude that it had been based on or adapted from
the prior work"

thank you,

--
T. (Tom) Hengl