[R-sig-Geo] Question about derivative work - what is the license for map derived using e.g. spatial "predict" function?

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Thu Nov 27 15:44:31 CET 2014

Tom, in your example below, x contains the kriging variance; points with
zero kriging variance must be observation locations, with the predicted
value equal to the observation.

In case the nugget in m would have been replaced by a measurement error
component (Err in m and m1 below), you would not have this effect, and
also have no discontinuity in the interpolated surface at observation
locations:

> m = vgm(1, "Sph", 900, Err = 1)
> v = variogram(log(zinc)~1, meuse)
> m1 = fit.variogram(v, m)
> m1
  model      psill    range
1   Err 0.05066243   0.0000
2   Sph 0.59060780 897.0209
> m2 = fit.variogram(v, vgm(1, "Sph", 900, 1))
> m2
  model      psill    range
1   Nug 0.05066243   0.0000
2   Sph 0.59060780 897.0209
> as(krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse, meuse[1,], m2), "data.frame")
[using ordinary kriging]
       x      y var1.pred     var1.var
1 181072 333611  6.929517 1.110223e-16
> as(krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse, meuse[1,], m1), "data.frame")
[using ordinary kriging]
       x      y var1.pred   var1.var
1 181072 333611  6.884401 0.03648868
# note identical predictions but different variances
# for other locations:
> as(krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse, meuse.grid[1,], m2), "data.frame")
[using ordinary kriging]
       x      y var1.pred  var1.var
1 181180 333740  6.499624 0.3198084
> as(krige(log(zinc)~1, meuse, meuse.grid[1,], m1), "data.frame")
[using ordinary kriging]
       x      y var1.pred var1.var
1 181180 333740  6.499624 0.269146

--
Edzer Pebesma,  Co-Editor-in-Chief Computers & Geosciences
Heisenbergstraße 2, 48149 Münster, Germany. Phone: +49 251