[R-sig-Geo] Azimuthal equidistant projection and rgdal

Ashton Shortridge ashton at msu.edu
Mon Nov 12 15:23:14 CET 2012

Dear Johan (and list),

I'm not a professional cartographer, but I do find myself flipping through
Snyder's book of map projections every once in a while.

Looking at your results, I don't see anything 'wrong' with the code or the
results. Yes, the map looks awful, but that is what it should look like.
Imagine a glass globe of the Earth with outlines of the land masses etched on
it. Now imagine you have oriented that globe so that you are looking down at
45N, 90W (somewhere not far from my neck of the woods). What you see as
"Australia right next to Canada" is from looking 'through the globe', which is
why Australia appears to be inverted, and why South America seems to fold
under itself (also Africa).

Now this projection is not really a glass globe, but I hope the metaphor makes
it a bit clearer. It should also make clearer why people don't normally use
azimuthal projections for global mapping. Coincidentally it works sorta kinda
ok from the north pole, but don't plan on it working well from other places.

Hope this is helpful.

Ashton

-----
Ashton Shortridge
Associate Professor			ashton at msu.edu
Dept of Geography			http://www.msu.edu/~ashton
235 Geography Building		ph (517) 432-3561
Michigan State University		fx (517) 432-1671