[R-sig-Geo] HDF4 in Windows

Jan Verbesselt janverbesselt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 17:47:31 CET 2012

Hi Jonathan,

I am using linux/mac (gdal) but did you try:
http://fwtools.maptools.org/  for windows?

Maybe you can call FWtools (gdal functions) via the:
> system() in R?

Alternatively you can use the MODIS MRT tool (windows/linux/mac) to convert to an R raster readable format.
https://lpdaac.usgs.gov/tools/modis_reprojection_tool

then use gdaltranslate() e.g. to *tif and the raster package to read the geotif.

Let us know if this helps because this will be useful for many students here,

Dr. ir. Jan Verbesselt
Centre for Geo-information
Wageningen University, The Netherlands
T: + 31 317 48 52 68