[R-sig-Geo] R / ArcGIS

Edzer Pebesma edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de
Fri Feb 17 14:49:20 CET 2012

On 02/17/2012 12:18 PM, Roger Bivand wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Michael Denslow wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Edzer Pebesma
>> <edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I might succeed meeting with some ESRI / ArcGIS folks at AAG next week;
>>> I'm in touch with them in particular about linking R to ArcGIS.
>>>
>>> I would like to find out if any of you has been successful (or
>>> unsuccessful) in reading or writing ArcGIS geodatabase files directly
>>> from R, by using the rgdal driver, or by some other means.
>>
>> Thanks for working on this. I have had success reading .mdb files but
>> not .gdb files. I typically use rgdal for this sort of thing. I was
>> under the impression that GDAL support for .gdb files started with
>> 1.9.
>
> This is off-topic here - the topic here is space-time data.

Not completely, as I started two topics in one thread. The first one,
interfacing ArcGIS personal geodatabases through rgdal (OGR drivers) has
been dealt with here:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2009-June/005889.html

and more recently with the closed source ArcGIS 10.0 API here:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2012-January/014090.html

followed by:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2012-February/014094.html

and follow-ups would be easier findable when added to that thread.

The second topic addressed dealing with space-time features between R
and ArcGIS, for which rgdal/OGR could not be a solution, AFAICS.