[R-sig-Geo] Building Windows binary of rgdal package to include PGeo driver for reading ESRI personal geodatabases.

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Feb 1 10:14:43 CET 2012

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012, Obrien, Josh wrote:

> I am a long-time R user, currently working with a team of ArcGIS users.
> The GIS guys would like to be able pass me data in the form of ESRI
> personal geodatabases (*.mdb), but the OGR driver that reads such files
> (PGeo) is not included in the Windows rgdal binary.
>
> Roger Bivand's 2008 book (p 111) and the "README.windows" file located
> in rgdal's main directory both have the same advice for me. They tell me
> that "the R Windows binary rgdal package can be built against an FWTools
> binary, using VC++."

Josh,

Could you please try to install R-devel for Windows:

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/rdevel.html

and install the CRAN binary of rgdal? Prof. Brian Ripley and Uwe Ligges
have been continuing their excellent support for us and the whole
community, and as part of build train enhancements for forthcoming 2.15 on
Windows, have built GDAL with more dependencies, including ODBC. For me on
R-devel, ogrDrivers() now shows:

23   MapInfo File  TRUE
24         Memory  TRUE
25   MSSQLSpatial  TRUE
26           ODBC  TRUE
27        OpenAir FALSE
28         PCIDSK  TRUE
29            PDS FALSE
30         PGDump  TRUE
31           PGeo FALSE

where FALSE means that the driver cannot write Pgeo files. It would be
helpful if you could try it out, which may well mean finding out how to
declare the Pgeo data source through ODBC or some such.

If you can find out how to use the driver, it may be simpler to go with
2.15 as Devel will become, most likely in April 2012, than try to build
using FWTools or OSGeo4W.

Hope this helps,

Roger