[R-sig-Geo] R / ArcGIS

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Feb 17 12:18:55 CET 2012

On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Michael Denslow wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Edzer Pebesma
> <edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I might succeed meeting with some ESRI / ArcGIS folks at AAG next week;
>> I'm in touch with them in particular about linking R to ArcGIS.
>>
>> I would like to find out if any of you has been successful (or
>> unsuccessful) in reading or writing ArcGIS geodatabase files directly
>> from R, by using the rgdal driver, or by some other means.
>
> Thanks for working on this. I have had success reading .mdb files but
> not .gdb files. I typically use rgdal for this sort of thing. I was
> under the impression that GDAL support for .gdb files started with
> 1.9.

This is off-topic here - the topic here is space-time data.

Your question is answered with respect to Personal geodatabases on the
Windows platform in thread:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.r.geo/13571

(link to gmane because it crosses a month boundary). You did join that
thread, and said there that you are using OSX. You were able to open Pgeo
files, I think. Are you thinking of the new file geodatabase format? If
you read:

http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_filegdb.html

you will see that you must build GDAL linking to the proprietary FileGDB
API SDK, which requires an ESRI global account. Reading the OGR format
file would tell you that, no?

Roger