[R-sig-Geo] R / ArcGIS

Michael Denslow michael.denslow at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 11:57:31 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:15 AM, Edzer Pebesma
<edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I might succeed meeting with some ESRI / ArcGIS folks at AAG next week;
> I'm in touch with them in particular about linking R to ArcGIS.
>
> I would like to find out if any of you has been successful (or
> unsuccessful) in reading or writing ArcGIS geodatabase files directly
> from R, by using the rgdal driver, or by some other means.

Thanks for working on this. I have had success reading .mdb files but
not .gdb files. I typically use rgdal for this sort of thing. I was
under the impression that GDAL support for .gdb files started with
1.9.

I am very interested in this issue since I am a regular user of ArcGIS
(teaching) and R (research).

Michael

> Another issue is reading/writing spatio-temporal features  (netcdf does
> spatio-temporal grids/arrays pretty well it seems); rumours go that
> ArcGIS might, in the near future, support reading/writing SpatiaLite.
>
> With best regards,
> --
> Edzer Pebesma
> Institute for Geoinformatics (ifgi), University of Münster
> Weseler Straße 253, 48151 Münster, Germany. Phone: +49 251
> 8333081, Fax: +49 251 8339763  http://ifgi.uni-muenster.de
> http://www.52north.org/geostatistics      e.pebesma at wwu.de

Michael Denslow
Adjunct Instructor
Department of Geography and Planning
P.O. Box 32066
Appalachian State University
Boone, North Carolina 28608
-- AND --
Communications Manager
Southeast Regional Network of Expertise and Collections
sernec.org

36.214177, -81.681480 +/- 3103 meters