[R-sig-Geo] R / ArcGIS

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Feb 17 09:44:12 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Edzer Pebesma
<edzer.pebesma at uni-muenster.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I might succeed meeting with some ESRI / ArcGIS folks at AAG next week;
> I'm in touch with them in particular about linking R to ArcGIS.

 Good luck with that! Remind them that it was nearly 21 years ago that
I was trying to link Splus with Arc/Info! Plus ca change...

I would think that a possible solution might be to go via Rpy, since
(I think) ArcGIS can use python for scripting (ooh, in my day it was
all AML!).

 But of course it has already been done for Quantum GIS using Carson
Farmer's truly miraculous ManageR plugin, which integrates R into Qgis
with something like an IDE with graphics, data transfer between GIS
and R, file editing etc etc. I'm CCing this to Carson directly because
I know manageR needs a bit of work at the moment..

 Now if ManageR could be plugged into other GIS packages then you'd
have a rather formidable solution...

Barry