[R-sig-Geo] problem for installing "rgdal" package in r

Julian Zeidler rlist at zeidlers.de
Tue Sep 6 09:49:48 CEST 2011

Hi Yung-wei,

I had simislar Problems when first isntalling rgdal on my machine. It is
due to missing (Linux-)Packages, that R needs to compile its bindings
with gdal.
In my case ( on a Ubuntu System) the required packages where:  gdal-bin,
libgdal1-dev, libproj-dev, build-essential. There might have been more
or i had previously installed them. If you are on a different
Distribution the names might be slightly different, but your Admin
should be able to figure it out.

best,
Julian