[R-sig-Geo] problem for installing "rgdal" package in r

Ben Madin lists at remoteinformation.com.au
Tue Sep 6 07:55:05 CEST 2011

Yung-wei,

If you read through this, it is one of the more instructive error messages you are likely to receive, so I would suggest that you work through the steps it suggests.

My guess is that if you are on a shared machine, the gdal libraries are not installed, and you will have to speak to your administrators about installing them.

> ./configure: line 2013: gdal-config: command not found
> Error: gdal-config not found

The gdal-config script distributed with GDAL could not be found.

> If you have not installed the GDAL libraries, you can
> download the source from  http://www.gdal.org/

You may need to get help from admins to do this on a shared machine.

> If you have installed the GDAL libraries, then make sure that
> gdal-config is in your path. Try typing gdal-config at a
> shell prompt and see if it runs. If not, use:
>  --configure-args='--with-gdal-config=/usr/local/bin/gdal-config'
> with appropriate values for your installation.

You will have to look at the help for install.packages for details on how to do this - watch out for the quoting.

cheers

Ben