[R-sig-Geo] problem for installing "rgdal" package in r

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 10:01:11 CEST 2011

This question has been asked here before. Which distribution are you using?

If you are using debian or ubuntu the admin should install
libgdal1-dev for building gdal. I also recommend installing r-base-dev
if it is not yet installed. It is needed for building most R packages

If the administrator is unreachable: try installing:
http://home.gdal.org/fwtools/FWTools-linux-2.0.6.tar.gz
and then run install.packages('rgdal',
configure.args=c(gdal='--with-gdal-config=~/FWTools-2.0.6/bin/gdal-config')

Johan