[R-sig-Geo] rgdal

tom sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Fri Jun 18 03:35:03 CEST 2010

Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:

> On 06/17/2010 05:40 PM, tom sgouros wrote:
> >
> > Hello all:
> >
> > I read this in the rgdal documentation:
> >
> >> The GDAL and PROJ.4 libraries are external to the package, and, when
> >> installing the package from source, must be correctly installed first.
> >
> > Does "correctly" mean something different from the default?  I installed
> > PROJ.4 on my Mac OS X (10.6) machine, using 'make all' and 'make
> > install'.  I saw no errors, and I see libproj.a sitting happily in
> > /usr/local/lib which seems pretty standard to me, but when I try to
> > install rgdal, I get this:

> >   checking proj_api.h usability... yes
> >   checking proj_api.h presence... yes
> >   checking for proj_api.h... yes
> >   checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... no
> >   Error: libproj.a not found.
> >   If the PROJ.4 library is installed in a non-standard location,
> >   use --configure-args='--with-proj-lib=/opt/local/lib' for example,
> >   replacing /opt/local/* with appropriate values for your installation.
> >   If PROJ.4 is not installed, install it.
> >
> > Before it was installed, the configure choked on the line about
> > proj_api.h.
> >
> > It was already installed, but per those directions, I tried this:
> >
> >> install.packages(c("rgdal"),lib="/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library",contriburl=contrib.url(getOption("repos"),'source'),type='source',dependencies=TRUE,configure.args=c(PROJ='--with-proj-lib=/usr/local/lib'))
> >
> Those instructions seem to indicate that it should be:
> configure.args='--with-proj-lib=/usr/local/lib'
> while the R code you put in may seem similar and theoretically provide
> the same, try doing it exactly like the example.

The example is from a command line invocation of ./configure.  How that
relates to an install.packages() option wasn't obvious to me.  I was
just copying the example in the install.packages() documentation.  But I
tried it your way just now and it still doesn't work.  Same error.
Besides, what's so non-standard about /usr/local/lib?

> The other option to consider is install Proj and GDAL from the Frameworks:
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks
>
> I know people have gotten the frameworks to work.

I'll try that, but I'm still mystified.

Thank you,

 -tom