[R-sig-Geo] rgdal

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Jun 18 03:18:47 CEST 2010

On 06/17/2010 05:40 PM, tom sgouros wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I read this in the rgdal documentation:
>
>> The GDAL and PROJ.4 libraries are external to the package, and, when
>> installing the package from source, must be correctly installed first.
>
> Does "correctly" mean something different from the default?  I installed
> PROJ.4 on my Mac OS X (10.6) machine, using 'make all' and 'make
> install'.  I saw no errors, and I see libproj.a sitting happily in
> /usr/local/lib which seems pretty standard to me, but when I try to
> install rgdal, I get this:

>   checking proj_api.h usability... yes
>   checking proj_api.h presence... yes
>   checking for proj_api.h... yes
>   checking for pj_init_plus in -lproj... no
>   Error: libproj.a not found.
>   If the PROJ.4 library is installed in a non-standard location,
>   use --configure-args='--with-proj-lib=/opt/local/lib' for example,
>   replacing /opt/local/* with appropriate values for your installation.
>   If PROJ.4 is not installed, install it.
>
> Before it was installed, the configure choked on the line about
> proj_api.h.
>
> It was already installed, but per those directions, I tried this:
>
>> install.packages(c("rgdal"),lib="/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library",contriburl=contrib.url(getOption("repos"),'source'),type='source',dependencies=TRUE,configure.args=c(PROJ='--with-proj-lib=/usr/local/lib'))

Those instructions seem to indicate that it should be:
configure.args='--with-proj-lib=/usr/local/lib'
while the R code you put in may seem similar and theoretically provide
the same, try doing it exactly like the example.

The other option to consider is install Proj and GDAL from the Frameworks:
http://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks

I know people have gotten the frameworks to work.

Enjoy,
Alex